Saide works across all educational sectors, including early childhood development, community education, schooling, further education and training, teacher education and higher education. Within these sectors, Saide has three strands of work:
- Supporting and developing open learning principles for quality education.
- Supporting education practitioners in the sound use of innovative course design, materials development, learner support, management and the use of technology for large scale provision.
- Building knowledge about sound and innovative methods of opening learning through research, the development of resources, and the dissemination of information.
Underpinning the creation of programmes, course and materials, Saide asks five key design questions:
- Where do we start?
- What do learners need to learn?
- How can we help learners learn?
- How will we know what learners have learned?
- How can we ensure good quality?
This approach is detailed in our Course Design and Materials Development Guide. Also, Saide's Learning Design with Technology framework, an important consideration for today's learners, is aligned to course design and materials development.
Open Saide includes open educational resources, open courses and open software that you can use, adapt or repurpose for your own situation. In addition, you can request Saide services, appropriate for each resource, to support your use, or futher development, of such resources.
Saide's Open Educational Resources can be arranged chronologically (Date) or alphabetically (Title). Identify resources associated with specific Services or Search Resources using keywords.
- Agshare Toolkit
- Curriculum and materials development workshop
- Designing and delivering distance education: Quality criteria and case studies from South Africa
- Distance higher education programmes in a digital era: Good practice guide
- External course evaluation instrument
- Learning about sustainable change in education in South Africa
- Open Educational Resources (OER) workshop
- Quality assurance toolkit for open schools
- Saide education studies: Being a teacher
- Saide education studies: Creating people-centred schools
- Saide education studies: Learners and learning guide
- Saide education studies: Using media in teaching
- Saide education studies: Working in classrooms
- Understanding OER
Online teaching and learning professional development courses developed by Saide are provided as a zip file that includes IMS Global Learning Consortium's Common Cartridge and Moodle's .mbz files. You can integrate these files into your LMS.
- Course Builder
- Facilitating online learning
- Introduction to Africa in the Global Political Economy
- Open Saide Course Builder User Guide
- Quality Online Learning and Teaching
- Saide Learning Design Guide
- Storymaking South Africa
Like most website operators, Open Saide collects non-personally-identifying information of the sort that web browsers and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, language preference, referring site, and the date and time of each visitor request. African Storybook's purpose in collecting non-personally identifying information is to understand better how Open Saide's visitors use its website. From time to time, Open Saide may release non-personally-identifying information in the aggregate, e.g., by publishing a report on trends in the usage of its website.
Open Saide also collects potentially personally-identifying information like Internet Protocol (IP) addresses for logged in users and for users leaving comments on storybooks published on the Open Saide website. African Storybook only discloses logged in user and commenter IP addresses under the same circumstances that it uses and discloses personally-identifying information as described below.
Gathering of Personally-Identifying Information
Certain visitors to Open Saide's website and mobile apps choose to interact with Open Saide in ways that require Open Saide to gather personally-identifying information. The amount and type of information that Open Saide gathers depends on the nature of the interaction. For example, we ask visitors who register on https://open.saide.ngo/ to provide a username and email address.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Protection of Certain Personally-Identifying Information
Open Saide discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only to those of its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations that (i) need to know that information in order to process it on Open Saide's behalf or to provide services available at Open Saide's website and mobile apps, and (ii) that have agreed not to disclose it to others. Some of those employees, contractors and affiliated organizations may be located outside of your home country; by using African Storybook's website and mobile apps, you consent to the transfer of such information to them. Open Saide will not rent or sell potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information to anyone. Other than to its employees, contractors and affiliated organizations, as described above, Open Saide discloses potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information only in response to a subpoena, court order or other governmental request, or when Open Saide believes in good faith that disclosure is reasonably necessary to protect the property or rights of Open Saide, third parties or the public at large.
If you are a registered user of https://open.saide.ngo/ and have supplied your email address, Open Saide may occasionally send you an email to tell you about new features, solicit your feedback, or just keep you up to date with what's going on with Open Saide and our products. If you send us a request (for example via a support email or via one of our feedback mechanisms), we reserve the right to publish it in order to help us clarify or respond to your request or to help us support other users. Open Saide takes all measures reasonably necessary to protect against the unauthorized access, use, alteration or destruction of potentially personally-identifying and personally-identifying information.
Open Saide may collect statistics about the behaviour of visitors to its website and mobile apps. Open Saide may display this information publicly or provide it to others. However, Open Saide does not disclose your personally-identifying information.
To enrich and perfect your online experience, Open Saide uses "Cookies", similar technologies and services provided by others to display personalized content, appropriate advertising and store your preferences on your computer.